Welcome to fabulous Las Vegas! We are proud to be celebrated internationally by tourists for our gambling, fine dining, and entertainment. Businesses flock to Vegas for the many tradeshows and conventions making the city a prime destination to do business.
The City of Las Vegas is technically just a portion of what most refer to as Las Vegas. There are many different areas that are part of Clark County and make up the area known to most as Las Vegas. No matter what you call it, it is a fantastic city with wonderful opportunities for both business and pleasure.
We welcome you to enjoy this Las Vegas information and to enjoy our city.
Las Vegas Information
The following Las Vegas information was compiled from several sources including the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority.
1. Las Vegas was founded in 1905 and was incorporated on March 16, 1911.
2. Translated into Spanish, Las Vegas means “the meadows”.
3. According to the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority (LVCVA) 37,335,436 visitors came to Las Vegas in 2010.
4. Las Vegas began as a stopping point for pioneers headed to the west.
5. Winter temperatures generally range between 40 to 60 degrees.
6. The Springs Preserve has 180 acres with botanical gardens, museums, outdoor events, galleries, and an interpretive trail system.
7. The “Welcome to Fabulous Las Vegas” sign was created by Betty Willis in 1959.
8. The Las Vegas Strip is technically not in the City of Las Vegas but in Clark County.
9. The Golden Gate Hotel and Casino was the first hotel and casino in Las Vegas and was opened in 1906.
10. The first topless showgirls were in “Minsky’s Follies” at the Dunes in 1957.
11. The Stratosphere tower is the tallest observation tower in the United States.
12. Gambling was legalized in Nevada in 1931.
13. Las Vegas is in the Mojave Desert.
14. The Fremont Street Experience Light and Sound Show has almost 12.5 million LEDs and 208 speakers that can produce 550,000 watts of sound.
15. Many celebrities were married in Las Vegas:
o Paul Newman and JoAnn Woodward
o Steve Lawrence and Edie Gorme
o Billy Bob Thornton and Angelina Jolie
o Mickey Rooney—twice
o Michael Jordan
o Bruce Willis and Demi Moore
o Drew Barrymore
o Richard Gere and Cindy Crawford
o Dennis Hopper and Michelle Phillips
o Jon Bon Jovi
o Don Johnson and Melanie Griffith
o Kelly Ripa and Mark Consuelos
o Diana Ross
o …and many more!
16. The center of Las Vegas is only 35 minutes from Mt. Charleston and snow skiing.
17. CNN.com named Las Vegas one of the best places to launch a business in 2009.
18. The Las Vegas Convention Center is 3.2 million square feet.
19. There were over 18,000 conventions held in Las Vegas in 2010.
20. There are 148,935 hotel/motel rooms in Las Vegas according to the LVCVA.