It looks like we're in it for the long-haul! But there are a lot of senior citizen things to do while social distancing.
Watching TV doesn't have to be all you do. Make this time count. Your time will go by faster and you will enjoy the self-quarantined time.
Senior Citizen things to do while Social Distancing
- Write letters to your grandkids. With the kids using chats, text messaging, and social media many of them don't even know how to address an envelope. Receiving their very own mail can make their day a little more exciting and help them fight their boredom.
- Have a group video chat. Online apps like Zoom, Houseparty, Whereby, and Google Hangouts let you get together with a group of friends or family.
- Exercise. YouTube has an abundance of exercise videos and many tailored to senior citizens. We love the American Parkinson Disease Association of St. Louis recorded exercise videos on YouTube. They have Tai Chi, seated exercise, and interval training.
- Go outside. Even if you are in a colder area, that shouldn’t stop you. Bundle up if you need to. Spring showers? Grab that umbrella. Go in your front or backyard. Walk the perimeter. Do some stretching. Bonus if the sun is out: vitamin D is great for you!
- Meet your neighbors outside. Stay in your own yard but have a toast to each other. Do some exercises together. Get some gossip in!
- Check on anyone you know who is living alone. Make it a daily to-do item. Give them a call or quick test message to make sure they are OK.
- Work on your family tree. Websites like Ancestry.com make it easy. There are also free templates for formatting family trees.
- Clean out a drawer. You know the one I’m talking about! That junk drawer that has been scaring you to even open.
- Clean your ears. Chances are you have everything you need. Here are some easy instructions and information from the Mayo Clinic.
- Make some cookies. There's nothing better, in my opinion than fresh-baked cookies. Simple butter cookies or peanut butter cookies take few ingredients and usually things you have at home already.
- Take a bubble bath. Relax with a book and some bubbles. If you don't have a specific bubble bath you can use shampoo.
- Ladies, try out different makeup methods. Put on lipstick or make a cat-eye!
- Condition your hair. Now is the time for some deep conditioning. Use your regular conditioner and leave it on for a while or even go with the old-fashioned mayonnaise conditioning.
- Teach your dog a trick. Even an old dog can learn new tricks! If you aren't up to that and your dog knows a few commands, do some practice with them.
- Take some selfies. The beauty of cell phones is you can take a ton of pictures till you get that perfect one.
- Update your social media profile image. Now those selfies will really come in handy!
- Put birthdays on your calendar. Organize your friends' and families' birthdays by getting them all on your calendar. Digital calendars often include options to make them recurring. You'll never have to add them again.
- Take an online typing class. If you already know how to type, take a typing speed test.
- Get dressed up. Toss those PJs to the side and put on some real clothes. Real fancy clothes. Get your spouse to do it too. Take pictures of each other all dresssed up.
- Keep your pajamas on all day. If you have been getting dressed every day, be daring and keep your pajamas on all day! Have a mini pajama party!
- Share your favorite recipe. Do you have a secret recipe everyone wants to know? Now is the time to let it go. Spread the word and share it on your favorite social media platform, like Facebook.
- Have breakfast for dinner. I love having pancakes or waffles for dinner. Or make some bacon and eggs. Yum!
- Binge watch some old TV series. "I Love Lucy", "Gunsmoke", "Golden Girls" and more are available to watch on many TV services.
- Have a candlelight dinner and eat at the dining room table. Get out that china you seldom use and set an elegant table.
- Organize your photos. I bet you have boxes of old photos. Organize them and even store them digitally. I use Photomyne. You can take pictures of your paper photos and it will organize them. Every photo is auto-cropped and auto-enhanced so you don’t have to.
- Give yourself a manicure and pedicure. You have time! Soak your hands and feet, trim your nails, and put on some fun nail polish. Even men can use a clear polish.
- Play cards. If you aren't a card lover, even a simple game of "War" can be fun! Or how about a game of blackjack?
- Send homemade cards to nursing homes. So many nursing homes are on lockdown. You can help by making some cards or notes to send to them.
- Store your winter clothes. Spring is here and it's time to get those bulky winter clothes out of your drawers and closet.
- Thank your emergency workers. One way is to order take-out and have it delivered to a firehouse or police department.
- Revive a friendship or repair a damaged one. You can never have too many friends! If you have had a falling out with a friend, make amends. Life is too short.
- Write letters to your children. Are there things you want your grown kids to know? Things you haven't been able to tell them? Put it in writing.
This "social distancing" and self-quarantine doesn't have to be boring. Try as many of the above things as you can and before you know it we will all be out and about.
Stay safe and healthy!