Diabetes Convention–AADE 11 Annual Meeting & Exhibition
This post may contain affiliate links or Google Ads and we may earn a small commission when you click on the links at no additional cost to you. As an Amazon Affiliate, we earn from qualifying purchases. This is at no additional cost to you and helps with our website expenses.
The beginning of August will see the American Association of Diabetes Educators (AADE) at the Mandalay Bay Convention Center. Starting August 3rd and lasting till August 6th, this is an unmatched resource for gathering the latest information about innovations related to diabetes education.
To give you an idea of the importance of this convention for Diabetes Educators, let’s take a quick look at some diabetes statistics:
National Diabetes Fact Sheet, 2011
- Among U.S. residents aged 65 years and older, 10.9 million, or 26.9% had diabetes in 2010
- About 215,000 people younger than 20 years had diabetes (type 1 or type 2) in the United States in 2010
- About 1.9 million people aged 20 years of older were newly diagnosed with diabetes in 2010 in the United States
For more information and facts click here to see the National Diabetes Fact Sheet, 2011
Latest Diabetes Information
This is the world’s leading diabetes education exhibition. Nearly 300 companies will be participating in the AADE Annual Meeting and Exhibition. This annual exhibition gives diabetes healthcare professionals and educators an opportunity to partake in face-to-face Q&A sessions with industry professionals.
The AADE General Session Speakers
Although more speakers will be announced, three speakers have all ready been listed by the AADE:
- Dr. Natalie Strand, winner of the 17th season of “The Amazing Race” and a type 1 diabetes patient.
- Susan Dentzer, editor-in-chief of Health Affairs, the nation’s leading peer-reviewed journal on health, health policy, and health care. She is an on-air analyst on the PBS NewsHour and frequestly does guest appearances and commentate on NPR shows like The Diane Rehm Show and This American Life.
- Jeffrey Zaslow, a columnist for The Wall Street Journal and the author or coauthor of three bestselling books including The Last Lecture and The Girls from Ames.
Exhibition Hall Hours
- August 3rd, Wednesday—12:00pm to 7:00pm
- August 4th, Thursday—11:00am to 4:00pm
- August 5th, Friday—9:30am to 2:00pm
AADE Recognition Awards
Winners of the AADE Awards were announced in May. They will be recognized at the Las Vegas exhibition. Award categories include:
- Diabetes Educator of the Year Award
- Outstanding Chapter of the Year Award
- Innovation in Practice Award
- Advocacy Award
- AADE Rising Star Award
- Allene Van Son Distinguished Service Award
- Innovative Use of Media and Technology Award
Continuing Education Credit for Dietitians, Nurses, Pharmacists, and Health Care Professionals
This Annual Meeting makes it a breeze to fulfill credential or licensure requirements. Depending on credentials and participation, exhibit attendees can earn up to 24 hours of continuing education. In some case, they can earn even more! Dieticians can earn up to 5 additional hours if they choose to be a participant in the exhibit-viewing or poster presentations.